Monday, September 17, 2007

Prayer for Kristina

Kristina is a 14 year old girl that I met in Katya's orphanage through the bowling event, and we hung out a lot together this weekend. She has a 7 and a 4 year old sister at another orphanage. She was just transferred away from them at the beginning of the school year - and they were just put into the system this year. Their mother has to commute as far as Moscow as part of her work and couldn't keep them after the divorce of their bad father, but it seems like they still have a good relationship with her and visit her.

Kristina she took me into the orthodox cathedral to show me, and showed me how to cross myself, how to light a candle, where Jesus was pictured. She said she doesn't believe in God but still likes to go into the cathedral, and she does believe Jesus existed. I know that's like, "duh, no atheist denies that," but it seemed like a first step of faith for her. At last she said it was making her too sad to be their because it reminded her of her grandmother who died.

She is very behind in school, I'm getting conflicting reports of how much, but doesn't seem lacking in intelligence, so it's probably their labeling thing again.

No comments: